Monday, December 11, 2006 -

Carl Edward "Buck" Buchanan, 77, died unexpectedly Dec. 9, 2006, while visiting friends in Millinocket. He was born June 17, 1929, in Milford, the youngest of seven children to William and Jennie (Spinney) Buchanan.
      After graduating from Stearns High School in 1946, Buck enlisted in the Navy and served on the USS Winslow, the USS Fresno and the USS Proteus, a submarine tender in New London, Conn. It was there that he met his future wife, Sonia, who was working at the time in an ice cream shop. They were married Jan. 7, 1955, in Hartford, Conn.
     In October 1954, Buck joined the Maine State Police and upon graduating from the Maine State Police Academy he was assigned to Troop C, in Skowhegan, and patrolled from Skowhegan to Jackman.
     In 1956, Buck was promoted to detective and was transferred to Troop E in Orono. He remained a detective until his retirement in 1975.
     Buck took great pride in his work as an investigator and was known by many as a legendary state police detective. He was also known by some as a rebel, due to his outspoken nature and his decision to sometimes do it his own way, albeit with the intended results.
     During the course of his career he received training that included, but was not limited to, Homicide Investigation at the Harvard Associates in Police Science, Harvard University; Narcotics Investigation, at what was then known as the United States Narcotics Bureau, Washington, D.C.; Questioned Documents Examination at the U.S. Department of Treasury and Organized Crime Investigation Training, Rhode Island. He was the senior intelligence officer with the New England Organized Crime Intelligence System, NEOCIS, headquartered in Wellesley, Mass., from 1971 to 1973.    
     He retired from the state police at the rank of detective sergeant. Upon his retirement he began his career in the private sector as a private investigator. His new business, Carl E. Buchanan & Associates, quickly became known throughout the state and beyond as a premier investigative service, obviously as a result of having brought his many years of experience as an investigator to the business.
     He retired from the business May 2005. Upon his retirement, Buck spent time at home with his wife and so enjoyed visiting with his friends. The door to his home was always open to those who wanted to visit. He was a fierce defender of his family, both immediate and extended, and although his gruff demeanor was known to most, few knew of his big heart and the generosity that accompanied it.